Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Decision To Go Natural

My decision to go natural (wear my hair without chemical relaxers) was the result of a long and frustrating journey, or shall I say, struggle, with my hair. The first step in my natural journey began when I decided to get my hair braided in "zillions". Depending on your geographic location, how you refer to them may vary from zillions to tie-zillions to extensions to individual braids to micros, etc.

When I first had my hair braided, in 1999, I thought it was a brave, bold decision. Depending on where you are in life, it may be a big deal or it may just be the "hairstyle of the week" for you. Though it's not a big deal for me now, back then, it was a bold, but necessary step.

I had become a victim of what seemed to be a never-ending cycle of hair breakage, which occurred off and on, for five years. It seemed that the prime suspect was the perm/relaxer, or as some in the natural hair community deem it, "THE CREAMY CRACK".

By no means was getting those braids my one and only action that ushered me into the world of natural hair. It would be several years later before I actually went and stayed natural, but that one decision was the seed sown to change my life forever.

I'd like to hear from other naturalistas out there! Why did you decide to go natural? What were some of your experiences or influences in your decision to go natural? Or if you're not yet natural, but considering it, why are you considering going natural?

(Contains excerpts from "TranZitions: Revelations on My Journey to Natural Hair and Freedom" by Yolanda T. Jones)

4 comments:

  1. I've been wearing my hair natural since about 1990. Because my grandmother would not allow me to get a perm until I was 16, that means I only did the creamy crack thing for about 15 years. I was not a happy camper when I had a perm because my hair never got straight and no matter what I did my natural kinky curl was always in control.

    Besides, the scarves, rollers, salons and such were always like torture. It didn't take too many "I love your hair" or "you are a natural beauty" compliments for me to recognize that I didn't need a billion dollar industry to make me beautiful. I'd rather spend my money on massages and spa treatments that nurture me and keep me connected to my divine self.

    I love my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been contemplating going natural here and there but hadn't gotten serious about actually WANTING to try it out until this Month (feb '11)! What a way to bring in Black History Month right!? I haven't decided if/when I'll do a BC but I'm so glad that so many women have posted videos and blogs about their own transitioning experiences and I've been trying out a couple styles while I let my hair grow free of chemical!
    I had gotten into the sew-ins to sort of get away from my perms and to get a little lazy honestly, but it was still work. Perms & Weaves are somewhat addictive though & I felt like I was tired of the compliments I'd be getting on my sewn in hair because it wasn't my own... I'd question if I'd get as much "attention" without these long locks of someone elses mane. Not that its needed, but I want to express the Genuine Beauty I was given. If maintaining my hair is going to be work I want the work to produce results-- Healthy hair... versus my sew in just gets pulled out when I'm tired of it & I'm still left with damaged untreated hair.
    So, anywho! That's how my story unfolds... Thanks for letting me share & Thanks for sharing with us! I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Versandra Kennebrew
    Hi Versandra! Thanks so much for subscribing to my blog. I love your last statement about preferring to spend your money on massages and spas. Speaking from my own experience, it's amazing how much we spend on our hair. I've had a "hair budget" for years (still do now, even though I'm natural, but just not as much as it was before).
    Thanks again for your post. It's great to hear from someone who's natural and lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @EllE
    Thanks EllE, for your post. As u said, what a way to celebrate Black History Month! Your reasons for deciding to go natural are unique and very genuine.
    I noticed you have a blog, too. I'm looking forward to reading yours and following your journey as well. Keep up the good work and stay encouraged as you continue your natural hair journey.

    ReplyDelete